A middle-aged man identified as Kayode Akerele and popularly called Americana on Monday was reportedly burnt to death in a midnight inferno that gutted his residence in Igarra, Akoko-Edo local government area of Edo State.
The timely intervention of neighbors was said to have saved the front-end of the building housing the PDP secretariat from being burnt.
A member of the family said the fire was as a result of a candle the deceased lit in his room and slept off.
He said: “A neighbor said he saw him buy a candle and went into his room. He lit the candle and slept-off, the candle burnt into the rug and then inflamed the ceiling and in the process, the ceiling collapsed on him. He must have been in a deep sleep as he was suffocated and burnt to death.
To avoid prying eyes and persons who wanted to immediately start posting his pictures on social media, the family immediately decided to bury him.
The deceased was among those who graduated into the Igarra community elders council in 2018.